Homemade Playdough Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 tbs. liquid cooking oil
- Natural Food coloring
- 6-8 drops of essential oils
Surprise your little one by preparing it for them, or make it together by stirring the flour, salt, and cream of tartar together in a sauce pan. Slowly add the water, cooking oil, and food coloring and mix until smooth. Stir the mixture over medium-low heat until it becomes a ball. At this point (where it resembles playdough), allow it to cool 3-4 minutes away from the heat. Once cooled, add in your preferred essential oils by kneading a few drops into the dough.
I love this recipe because it can last for months if stored in an airtight container (and even longer if the container is in the fridge)!
Let me know what stresses your child is experiencing and I’ll recommend what oils are best in your aromatherapy playdough.
Here's a few examples of oils you can use and the color that matches:
- Lavender to calm with purple food coloring
- Peppermint to keep them awake during school with blue food coloring
- Onguard to boost immune with red food coloring
- Orange to lift their spirits with orange food coloring
What examples do you have?